Alu bhaja or potato crisps with dal is a comfort food in many a Bengali household,mine being no exception.These crispies are equally tempting for adults and kids ,and vanish off the plate even before the dal is served .Simple ,with minimum ingredients ,these form the starters of a Bengali meal.
Ash gourd with coconut(chalkumror ghonto0
So lets get started-
Ingredients- six potatoes(medium)
salt (as per taste0
oil for deep frying
- Peel and cut the potatoes lengthwise,then slice them in very thin triangular slices as in the pic.(remember-the thinner the slices the crispier the potatoes)
- Put the cut slices in a bowl full of water .
- Wash the slices in running water till the water is clear(all the excess starch is washed out).
- Put handful of these (strain them out of water) in hot oil(oil should be medium hot)
- Spread them out in the oil.
- Add only as much salt as needed for that batch straight to the oil.
- Take them out of the oil as they start changing colour.(keep in an open plate).
- When taken out they should make a sound on the plate.
- Do not cover the plate.
- Continue the process for the rest of the potatoes in small batches(add salt for every batch)
Note-I generally fry them ,let them cool and keep them in an air tight container the day before I have guests at my place.